Raleigh's Charter (1584)
On March 25, 1584 Elizabeth granted explorer Sir Walter Raleigh a charter to colonize the area of North America that was the future Virginia Colony - currently the coast of North Carolina.
- Feared war with Spain and yearned Spanish wealth from Central and South America --> Queen Elizabeth I saw American coast as a potential and powerful haven
- Intended to provide wealth from the New World and a base from which to send armed ships against the treasure fleets of Spain
"...we giue and graunt to our trustie and welbeloued seruant Walter Ralegh...to discover, search, finde out, and view such remote, heathen and barbarous lands, countries, and territories, not actually possessed of any Christian Prince, nor inhabited by Christian People..."
-Queen Elizabeth I, Charter to Sir Walter Raleigh (1584)
Establishing this permanent North American settlement became an ambitious attempt by Sir Walter Raleigh with the purpose of:
- Harassing Spanish shipping
- Mining for gold and silver
- Discovering a passage to the Pacific Ocean
- Christianizing Indians
A website by Jenessa M., Emily M., and Sophie Z.